Modest Ideas #1: Heated Mouse! Improving the Mouse Touching Comfort.
Have you ever used the mouse when the air in a room is a cold?
The feeling is as you hold the stone, the fingers lost their flexibility and, etc. the comfort is near “Zero”.
Today we will share our private improvement of the standard USB wired laser mouse, to maximize comfort when using in cold ambient conditions.
Generally, the regular laser mouse doesn’t emit any kind of visible light. Our Mouse, which today will totally be exposed, has a secret!
Hot to reconstruct your USB Mouse to became: Heated Mouse?
Necessary Skills: We believe that you have basic skills: how to use a soldering Iron 🙂
- The Goal: Reconstruct the USB Mouse.
- 1.2W, 12V T10 car dashboard incandescent lamp – 1 pcs. ,
- Leaded 51 ohms /0.25W resistors – 2 pcs. ,
- Soldering Iron,
- A kind of moment Glue,
- Very thin plastic insulated multi-wires copper wire – 0.18 mm2 – about 20 inches.
Our Idea was to generate and transport little heat to the tips of the pointing and middle fingers, and a center of the palm.
Calculated power or power need to generate heat is quite enough, to feel your palm in the best condition.
Don’t use low resistance resistors than listed values. Much more power will overload the USB port.
Remark that the power consumption of system will be increased with ~1.5W, which can reduce Laptop or notebook lifespan with 1-2 %. We suppose to use our funny improvement mainly on Desktop PC, where the consumed power it isn’t so big problem.
About making “inovation-construction”:
- You make an experiment!
- If you are not enough self-confident in you skills, you can try the “project” effect on the less expensive mouse.
- You need to uncover mouse.Try to find 1 or 2 screws under the labels on its bottom side or under the PTFE skating pads.
- If the already uncovered mouse is in front of you, your next step is to find + and -, coming in the common case through the red and black wire to a connector on the PCB Board.
- If the positive and negative terminals are now known, get down to work.
- You need do find a right place for inserting the heating elements – in our case these are the resistors and lamp.
- The Construction of moving buttons in the regular mouse is created by elastically flexing of Plastic material, as third independent part of a construction.
- You need to choose a right place for insertion the heating resistors – the resistor needs to be situated as not to stop the plastic part movement.
- * No place, No problem.
- We advise you to create”∏” shaped twisting of the resistor’s leads, and to solder two, near 4 inches long wires on each lead of the resistors You will use 4 wires.
- Resistors can glue up to movable plastic part, carefully with gel moment glue, epoxy glue or via Soldering Iron heat.
- The wires need to be led and gently fixed in a few points on the bottom side through the all moving plastic. The Thin wire is working as a neck, doesn’t allow a self-cutting through the thousands of clicks until lasting the mouse life.
- Do the same activity for second mouse button
- You Need to straight the 1.2Watt Lamp leads.
- Need to create two solderings on the bottom of the Lamp, paralleling three heaters R1|| R2|| Lamp.
- The Lamp Leads need to be solder very carefully to +(Red) and -(Black) terminal of a 4-wire connector on Mouse PCB Board.
- After Gently fixed any moving parts, close the mouse, screwing screws on the bottom, and Voila!
- Let there be Heat!
* If you can’t find the right place to Conventional leaded Resistor – You have one other chance: To use Smaller Elements – 1206 size SMD resistors. Then the construction will be more complicated. Here is a place to unlock your imagination.
Let There Be Heat, Dear Hobby Enthusiasts!