The Capacitors – Part 3: Ultimate Audio Components
Аmong ordinary capacitors, the manufacturers of high-quality audio components every day join their forces in search of more efficient and quality components.
Copper Foil Capacitors:
These capacitors have the same structure as ordinary film capacitors, but the metallic foil material is pure galvanic copper.
PIC. 1 Audio Note Copper Foil winded
Silver Foil Capacitors:
The structure is like ordinary film capacitors, but the metallic foil material is 99.99% pure galvanic silver.
PIC. 3 Audio Note Silver Foil winded
The manufacturer said the only improvement over this extremely quality capacitors can be done if hi-fi freaks use an interstage transformer and then – no need for a decoupling capacitor.
Standard Electrolytic Capacitors:
All electrolytic capacitors, also named e-caps are polarized devices.
They can be separate in few groups, depending dielectric, as follow:
- Aluminum electrolytic capacitors,
- Tantalum electrolytic capacitors,
- Niobium electrolytic capacitors.
Aluminium Electrolytic capacitors have a cylindrical shape, related a principle of its mechanical construction.
PIC. 4 The Electrolytic Capacitor – Foil / Dielectric / Foil Winding Structure
Using capacitors in their designs, the hardware developers need to select the right capacitor with properly rated voltage parameters. In an opposite case, the capacitor will breakdown, defect, fault, short, flame or even explode.
PIC. 5 Tantalum Capacitor Inner Structure
Attention: Never do similar experiments at home, unprotected, and without fire extinguisher near at hand!
VIDEO 1. Bust a Cap – Exploding Capacitors with SparkFun
The idea of the VIDEO Experiment is to show the effect of overvoltage breakdown of different kinds of capacitors.
The Safeties capacitor is MLCC, the fearsome is a ” flamethrower ” – the tantalum capacitor.
Audio Super Caps:
The main reason to use such device as Super cap “at the entrance” of the Power Amplifier is the common problem with the significant voltage drop when the currents consumption from the accumulator mainly situated near the engine reaches a hundred amperes. The Capacitors allowing the audio amplifier system to function properly.
PIC. 6 Soundquest SQCAP2M 2.0 Farad Power Capacitor with Digital Display
2.0 Farad Soundquest SQCAP2M Key Features:
- 20V Surge Capability,
- 2.0 Farad Digital Display Power Capacitor,
- Brushed Aluminum Body,
- Reverse Polarity Warning,
- Ultra Low Esr For High Current Output,
- Satin Finish Terminals.
PIC. 7 PYLE PLCAPE50 5.0 Farad Digital Power Capacitor
5.0 Farad: PYLE PLCAPE50 Key Features:
- 24V Surge Capability,
- Over Voltage Protection Circuit,
- 5.0 Farad Digital Display Power Capacitor,
- Capacitance ± 5%. 20-24 Volt Surge, 105o C,
- Blue Digital Display,
- Electronic Polarity Protection Circuit,
- Includes Mounting Charging Hardware,
- Dimensions: 8.86”H 3.5”W.
PYLE PLCAPE50 5.0 Farad Digital Power Capacitor
PIC. 8 Boss CAP8 8.0 Farad LED Digital Car Power Capacitor
8.0 Farad Boss CAP8 Key Features:
- Alarm Tones for Reverse Polarity, Voltage Overload, Low Battery Voltage,
- E.S.R. (Equivalent Series Resistance) 0.0015-Ohms @ 120Hz
- 3-Digit Blue Voltage Meter with 100mV Resolution.
Boss CAP8 8.0 Farad LED Digital Car Power Capacitor Cap
PIC. 9 Planet Audio PC20F 20 Farad Capacitor
20 Farad PC20F Key Features:
- 20 Farads with digital voltage display,
- Blue Digital Voltage Display,
- Alarm tone signal for reverse polarity, low battery voltage, and voltage overload.
Don’t Stop To Reinvent Yourself, Dear Explorers!