LMD-B170 – 17″ – Lightweight and Slim Full HD (1920 x 1080) LMD-B Series Monitor with an Excellent Cost-Performance Ratio
The LMD-B170 ( LMDB170 ) 17-inch LMD-B Series compact and lightweight LCD monitor offers Full-HD resolution. The monitor boasts similar mass and power consumption as Sony’s previous, smaller 15-inch models, as well as a 24% reduction in depth. The LMD-B Series offers convenient features, functions and the same user-interface design and operability as PVM-A Series OLED and LMD-A Series Premium LCD picture monitors. This consistency between the PVM-A, LMD-A and LMD-B Series makes it easy for users to work with all three monitors and integrate them in the same work environment. The LMD-B Series monitors are a cost-effective and versatile solution for a wide range of professional applications, including DC operation and wall-mounting. In addition, the LMD-B170 includes a natural ventilation system meaning no audio disruption from an internal cooling fan, making the monitor highly suitable for video shooting and critical audio operations.
- Industry standard 17-inch (diag.) screen size and Full HD resolution The LMD-B170’s industry standard 17-inch screen is ideal for a wide variety of applications, from a desk-top use to wall-mounting, arm-mounting and outfield shooting. The Full-HD (1920 x 1080) resolution is approximately 200% higher resolution than Wide-XGA (1366 x 768 or 1280 x 768), giving you sharp focus for pixel-by-pixel checking of a Full HD video with no scaling.
- Stylish slim and lightweight body The monitor has a robust and stylish sharp-edges chassis. Lighter weight and lower power consumption saves you money as well as space and weight in digital galleries. The monitor is also ideal for stand-alone applications such as basic non-linear editing, audio control room, simple video monitoring or video shooting. It’s easy to carry.
- Simple all-in-one design style with natural ventilation system and front stereo speakers The LMD-B170 inherits its all-in-one design style from the PVM-A and LMD-A series. It has the mandatory interfaces such as SDI, HDMI and composite video with stereo analogue audio. You can monitor the embedded audio signals of an SDI signal on the audio level meters of the screen. 2W+2W front stereo speakers are more powerful than a monaural speaker or a rear speaker system and you can get a good stereophonic effect from them. It can be powered by both AC and DC with no AC adaptor. The supplied stand has a tilt function and a 100mm x 100mm wall mounting function means you can install it more flexibly. Its natural ventilation system ensures there are no distracting cooling fan noise.
- Easy operation in a group of Sony PVM/LMD monitors With the same operability as the PVM-A and LMD-A Series, you can easily go back and forth when using monitors from the different ranges in one system. You can easily select the best monitor for a function, according to your feature, quality and budget requirements.
- Selected essential functions for basic video operations LMD-B170 offers vital functions, including Markers, WFM/Vector, audio level meters, timecode display, camera focus function, side by side, Flip H/V and on-screen tally. The user reset function makes it easy to return the monitor to the default setting very quickly. This is very useful if a user is not familiar with the monitor settings. LMD-B170 can be also operated in one of 7 languages (Chinese, English, French, Germany, Italian, Japanese and Spanish).
- Lightweight and compact with lower power consumption
The LMD-B170 offers a design that is uniquely lightweight and compact. Its weight and power consumption is much the same as the predecessor 15-inch models, despite having a 2-inch larger screen. Its depth is reduced by more than 24%.
- Optimised low-latency I/P conversion
The I/P conversion system delivers automatically optimised signal processing according to input signals with low-latency (less than 0.5 field). This system helps users to edit and monitor for a live production.
- Video input versatility
The LMD-B170 monitor is equipped with built-in standard input interfaces: HD/SD-SDI (x2), HDMI (HDCP) input (x1) and composite (x1).
- Computer input versatility
Multiple computer signals can be received via an HDMI/DVI interface; the resolution range is from 640 x 480 to 1680 x 1050 pixels.
- Waveform monitor, vector scope and audio level meter display
An input signal’s waveform and vector scope with an SDI-embedded 2-channel audio level meter can be displayed on screen. The waveform of a specified line can also be displayed. In conjunction with the Picture & Picture function, the waveform monitor and vector scope display can monitor two camera signals. In addition, an audio level meter can display the embedded audio signal from the SDI or HDMI input. It can display on screen the ch1 to ch8 or ch9 to ch16.
- Front stereo speakers
2W+2W front stereo speakers are more powerful than a monaural speaker or a rear speaker system and you can get a good stereophonic effect from them. You can select audio sources from either embedded audio or analog audio.
- User-friendly operability and user interface
This monitor has an intuitive and appropriate user interface for a video production. You can easily choose an input and a function by a single click. Rotary encoder knob is easy to select an item and enter it. The lighted control panel has a good readability in dark. This user interface including OSD menu layout is carefully designed for a time critical operation as either a single unit or multiple units with the Sony different range of professional monitors in one system.
- Consistent design with PVM/LMD-A Series monitors
LMD-B170 monitor offers the same functions and operability as PVM-A and LMD-A Series monitors and shares a consistent front control panel design. This means that these types of monitor can be operated and controlled in the same way.
- User reset, key inhibit, user short-cut to function key configuration
When multiple users share the same monitor, you need to reset it in a quick operation. User reset function quickly returns the unit to the default settings. Key inhibit protects the required settings of it from any inadvertent operations For improving speed of the function key configuration, the user can take a short-cut to the settings menu screen by simply holding down one of the Function keys.
- Camera focus function
The LMD-B170 monitor can control the aperture level of a video signal, and display images on the screen with sharpened edges to help camera focus operation. Further to this, the sharpened edges can be displayed in user-selectable colours (white, red, green, blue, and yellow) for more precise focusing.
- Time code function
LTC and VITC time code can be displayed at the top or bottom of the picture.
- Side by side function
The side by side function of the LMD-B170 allows simultaneous display of two input signals on the monitor’s screen. This function helps with colour adjustment and setting of camera frames. This function works when synchronous SDI signals are input.
- On-screen tally
The monitor is also equipped with a three-colours red, green and yellow on-screen tally function. The position of the tally display can be changed to either the upper or lower section of the screen.
- Flip functions
The Flip function turns the reversed image to a normal view, horizontally or vertically.
- Wall-mount capability
There are also wall-mount 100mm pitch holes on each monitor’s rear panel. A built-in AC circuit allows you to install the monitor more easily and flexibly than a monitor with an AC adaptor.
- DC low power indicator
DC power supply is available in the range of 12V to 17V. The power indicator blinks when the DC power supply is low.
- Natural ventilation system
There is no cooling fan inside and making the monitor suitable for video shooting and critical audio operations.
PIC. 3 LMD-B170 Rear-View
|Panel||a-Si TFT Active Matrix LCD|
|Picture Size (Diagonal)||438.2 mm (17 ⅜ inches)|
|Effective Picture Size (H x V)||381.9 x 214.8 mm
15 1/8 x 8 1/2 inches
|Resolution (H x V)||1920 x 1080 pixels (Full HD)|
|Colors||Approx. 16.7 million colours|
|Viewing Angle (Panel Specification)||80°/60°/80°/80° (typical) (up/down/left/right contrast > 10:1)|
|Normal Scan||0% scan|
|Composite Input||BNC (x1), 1 Vp-p ±3dB, sync negative|
|SDI Input||BNC (x2)|
|HDMI Input||HDMI (x1) (HDCP correspondence)|
|Audio Input||Stereo mini jack (x1), -5 dBu 47 kΩ or higher|
|Parallel Remote||RJ-45 Modular connector 8-pin (x1) (Pin-assignable)|
|DC Input||XLR-type 4-pin (male) (x1), DC 12 V to 17 V (output impedance 0.05 Ω or less)|
|Composite Output||BNC (x1), Loop-through, with 75 Ω automatic terminal function|
|SDI Output||BNC (x1)*, output signal amplitude: 800 mVp-p ±10%, output impedance: 75 Ω unbalanced
*Output from SDI 1 only.
|Audio Monitor Output||Stereo mini jack (x1)|
|Speaker (Built-in)||2.0 W+2.0W (Stereo)|
|Headphone Output||Stereo mini jack (x1)|
PIC. 4 LMD-B170 Tilt Option Side-View
|Power Requirements||100 V to 240 V AC, 0.4 A to 0.3 A, 50/60 Hz
DC 12 V to 17 V, 2.7 A to 1.9 A
|Power Consumption||Approx. 38 W (max.)
Approx. 28 W (average power consumption in the default status)
|Inrush Current||(1) Maximum possible inrush current at initial switch-on (Voltage changes caused by manual switching): 60 A peak, 0.3 A r.m.s. (240V AC)
(2) Inrush current after a mains interruption of five seconds (Voltage changes caused at zero-crossing): 48 A peak, 0.2 A r.m.s. (240V AC)
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 35°C (Recommended: 20°C to 30°C)
32°F to 95°F (Recommended: 68°F to 86°F)
|Operating Humidity||30% to 85% (no condensation)|
|Storage/Transport Temperature||-20°C to +60°C
-4°F to +140°F
|Storage/Transport Humidity||0% to 90%|
|Operating/Storage/Transport Pressure||700 hPa to 1060 hPa|
|Dimensions (W x H x D) *1||423.2 x 303.8 x 68.0 mm (without monitor feet)
423.2 x 346.5 x 264.4 (with monitor feet)
16 3/4 x 12 x 2 3/4 inches (without monitor feet)
16 3/4 x 13 3/4 x 10 1/2 inches (with monitor feet)
|Mass||Approx. 5.9 kg (13 lb 0.1 oz)
Approx. 4.1 kg (9 lb 0.6 oz) (When the monitor stand is removed)
|Accessories supplied||AC power cord (1)
AC plug holder (1)
Before Using This Unit (1)
PIC. 5 LMD-B170 Right-Side Connections View
|AC power cord (1)|
|AC plug holder (1)|
|Before Using This Unit (1)|
Quick Audio Review
Video 1. Product overview for Sony LMD-B170 full HD LCD monitor as quick audio review
SONY U.S. List Price: $1,700.00