PIC. 1 LiFePO4 – A123 Systems – Size 26650
The ANR26650M1-B LiFePO4 Battery is the next generation of A123 Systems pioneering 26650 cylindrical cell, now with greater power and energy density and very lower impedance.
This versatile lithium-iron nano-phosphate cell is suitable for many and variety of hardware applications and R&D systems, also and PULSE POWER SUPPLY HW designs. Best performance in all weather conditions, combining high durability, super reliability, many complete charge cycles, best safety.
This battery cannot explode with short-circuiting or overcharge. ANR26650 batteries offers an excellent combination of price-performance and wattage-weight.
The prime application for Cylindrical Cell Type ANR26650M1-B:
- Portable high power devices
- Stationary battery backup systems
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
- Grid stabilization energy storage systems
- Medical tools and technics
- Lighting solutions with reserved Battery power
- Ultra long life in Stand-By Mode
- Commercial transport & hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs)
Cylindrical Cell Specifications:
+Nominal voltage: 3.3V
+Nominal capacity: 2.5Ah
+Internal resistance < 0.006 Ohms;
+Max continuous rated current <= 50 Amps.
+Absolute Max (single pulse with 10 seconds duration) current is 120 Amps.!
Technical Information & Links:
White paper – Nanophosphate Lithium Ion Battery Chemistry. – See more
Ordering Info for the Device: A123 Systems ANR26650M1-B:
In addition, I would like to introduce you very useful and special chip by the Linear Technology, which can handle the whole job of charging via the USB one Cell LIFePO4 Battery:
The IC – LTC4098-3.6,
which you can use to made very simple AND smart LiFEPO4 – 1 cell Accu Charger, simply powered by the USB port and maximum effectively using the PC or other portable hardware port energy.
- Switching Regulator with Bat-Track™ Adaptive Output Control Makes Optimal Use of Limited Power Available from USB Port to Charge Battery and Power Application
- Charge Control Algorithm Specifically Designed for LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate)
- Overvoltage Protection Guards Against Damage
- Bat-Track External Step-Down Switching Regulator Control Maximizes Efficiency from Automotive, Firewire, and Other High Voltage Input Sources
- 180mΩ Internal Ideal Diode Plus External Ideal Diode Controller Seamlessly Provide Low Loss PowerPath™ When Input Power Is Limited or Unavailable
- Preset 3.6V Charge Voltage with 0.5% Accuracy
- Instant-On Operation with Discharged Battery
- 700mA Maximum Load Current from USB Port
- 2A Maximum Input Current from Internal Switching Regulator
- 1.5A Maximum Charge Current with Thermal Limiting
- Smart Using NTC to prevent any thermal problems during to the charging process
- 20(+1) -Lead 3mm × 4mm × 0.75mm QFN-20 Package, with thermal 21-th Pin
The LTC4098-3.6 is a high-efficiency USB PowerPath controller and full-featured LiFePO4 battery charger. It seamlessly manages power distribution from multiple sources including USB, wall adapter, automotive, Firewire or other high voltage DC/DC converters, and a LiFePO4 battery.
The LTC4098-3.6 charge algorithm is optimized for LiFePO4 by implementing a 1-hour float voltage termination timer and a 0°C to 60°C NTC-based charge qualification range. Furthermore, completely discharged batteries are charged at the full programmed charge current.
The LTC4098-3.6’s switching regulator can automatically limit its input current for USB compatibility. For automotive and other high voltage applications, the LTC4098‑3.6 interfaces with an external switching regulator. Both the USB input and the auxiliary input controller feature Bat-Track optimized charging to provide maximum power to the application and reduced heat in high power density applications with input supplies from 5V to as high as 38V.
An overvoltage protection circuit guards the LTC4098-3.6 by high voltage damage on the VBUS pin with just two external components.
The LTC4098-3.6 is available in a 20-lead 3mm × 4mm × 0.75mm QFN surface mount package.
PIC. 2 See that example view of D4 IC- LTC4098-3.6
By 3D View of Altium Designer on part of our working PCB design
It has one additional (21) thermal pad. At PCB Board on the thermal Pad, We suggest to insert 8 thermal vias with drill holes diameter = 0.3 – 0.4 mm, connecting the thermal pad with a grounding plane, to extract the heat as quick and effective as possible (You can See The Example on PIC. 2).
If You have an interest in the charger’s topic and would like to create a PCB Design with described Items, you can get a lot of schematic components and related footprints from Our Digital Section:
Digital Shop – get OUR PCB footprints and Schematic Components libraries.